Wednesday, August 7, 2013

8 and 8 is Low Average???

While writing a report for an upcoming assessment I realized something: I still enjoy looking at the numbers! Those of you who know me, know that I believe " a monkey could give an IQ test." It really is not that hard. Read the bold, write down and/or circle what they say, stop after 3 wrong, and add. If you can do that, you too can give an IQ test.

My real enjoyment of these assessments are revealing what the numbers say. When I have the time I would rather hand score any assessment then run it through scoring software. It may take another 15 minutes, but who doesn't love watching the scaled scores be located one at time? Think way back to graduate school...back when you hand scored everything. Think about the first time you got two scaled scores of 8 on the PSI but your Index score was 89...does not make sense...unless you like numbers! Then explain that to a parent!

School Psychologists write lots and lots of reports. Most of us complain that we write more reports than we care to. However, reports should be interesting. They are not just numbers, not just templates, they are something unique to each of us. I challenge everyone to sit back and hand score just one assessment this school-year. See how you feel, see if how you write the report is different. You might just feel empowered!


No comments:

Post a Comment